I love cold days because to me they mean roast dinners, warming spices and comfort foods. This dessert will help you get a serve of fruit into your day and is incredibly moreish.
It whips up very quickly. I usually prep them while I am making the main meal so they are ready to pop in when the roast is finished. Try them, you won’t regret it 🙂
Spiced Baked Apples
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Serves: 2
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Healthy fats
- Refined sugar free
- 2 large organic green apples
- 1/4 cup macadamias
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamon or all spice
- 1 tsp honey, if required for extra sweetness
- 4 tsp cultured organic butter or coconut oil for dairy free option.
- core the apples (I use a cute, cheap stainless steel apple corer)
- chop nuts finely in a blender, spice grinder or food processor
- mix the spices with nuts
- stuff the hole in each apple with the nut and spice mix
- if you need extra sweetness, drizzle 1/2 tsp honey on each apple
- pop 1 tsp of butter on top of each apple and another 1 or 2 tsp in the baking dish
- sprinkle any remaining nut mix over and around the apples
- bake at 180°C (360°F) for 25-30 minutes (until the apples are soft and start to break apart)
To serve, full fat natural yogurt is great dolloped on the top. You can also substitute the nuts in the recipe with any nuts you like.
What is your favourite healthy dessert?
If you need more inspiration check out my free healthy snack and breakfast recipe eBook.