Perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Its freezing right now in Melbourne, and we are all looking for nourishing warming foods to fight off colds and warm our souls. I made my homemade chicken stock on Monday in the slow cooker. I threw everything in that morning and left it going during the day. So when I got home on Monday night it was very easy to whip up this yummy soup. I’ve been taking it to work for lunch and also put some in the freezer for next week. This is so filling you don’t really need bread with it, and is full of nutrient dense veges, good fats and protein.
The carrot adds extra sweetness, you can also make this with only sweet potato if you don’t have any around the house.
Sweet potato and chicken soup
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: approx 30 mins
- Total time: 45 mins
- Serves: 4 or more
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Healthy fats
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 300-500g pastured chicken breast
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 2 Medium orange sweet potatoes (about 500g)
- 2 large carrots (about 200g)
- 3 ribs celery
- 1 bunch coarsely chopped parsley to make 1/4 cup, loosely packed
- 2 tsp dried or 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- chop onion, garlic and celery finely.
- add to a large saucepan with 1 tbsp butter and cook for 3-5 minutes on a low heat.
- add the chicken stock to the pan and bring to the boil over high heat.
- peel and chop sweet potato into 1 cm chunks.
- peel and chop the carrot finely.
- add the sweet potato, carrot, thyme and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and bring back to the boil.
- simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- while soup is cooling, cut the raw chicken into 1 cm pieces. Set aside.
- use a stick mixer to blend the sweet potato into a smooth mixture. If you like it chunky then only blend half the mixture. (If you don’t have a stick mixer then place one-quarter of soup in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining soup in three more batches.)
- bring soup back to the boil over medium heat.
- add chicken and parsley and cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- remove from heat and season with extra salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are including dairy in your diet, you can add a swirl of sour cream when serving.