When I found I had a mild intolerance to cloves, I decided to hunt around for recipes to make my own spice mixes, as everything I had contained cloves. Here is an easy mixe I created out of the myriad of possibilities out there. The great thing about these mixes is you can easily adapt them to your tastes. and include more of the sweet spices, or peppery spices as you wish.
Sometimes food intolerance can be a real pain in the backside, but It has encouraged me to cook more and find adaptations which work surprisingly well.
Home made cloveless garam masala
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: approx 5 mins
- Total time: 10 mins
- Makes: 1 Jar full
- Gluten free
- Casein and Dairy free
- Clove free
- 1/3 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp green cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 2.5 cm piece of cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat all ingredients except nutmeg in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cumin browns and spices are fragrant, about 2.5-5 minutes.
- Transfer all ingredients – and add the nutmeg – to a spice grinder and grind until you’ve got a relatively fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to six months!
- Note — you will need all the doors and windows open and a fan on. I had a coughing fit from the spice fumes!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious