I have been missing chickpeas and all thing hummus, so I started working on good alternatives to satisfy my craving. This recipe is the result. It’s creamy and delicious and very low in histamine.
I love to have this on a wrap or as a dip with carrot and celery sticks. I’m sure you will find many other ways of incorporating this into your meals. You can also experiment as well by adding other low histamine herbs and spices such as ground coriander seed.
I recommend leaving out the vinegar or lemon juice unless you have completed your elimination diet and know you tolerate it personally.
Citrus fruits, including lemon, are histamine liberators. They may cause mast cells to produce more histamine. Small amounts of lemon juice in dressings and sauces are often OK. Vinegar’s are high in histamine, although apple cider vinegar is often well tolerated.
Learn more about which foods are low and high histamine in the Happy Without Histamine – Low Histamine Foods Guide.
Butternut squash “hummus”
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Serves: 4
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Low histamine
- No refined sugar
- 250 grams Butternut Squash (1/2 a medium squash)
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves (approx 1/4 bunch)
- 1/2 cup Macadamia Nuts
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice – optional)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black or White Pepper (to taste)
- Heat the oven to 170C (340F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash into chunks leaving the skin on. Roast for about 30 minutes until completely soft. Allow to cool, peel off skin and drain off any excess liquid.
- In a food processor, blend the basil leaves to a paste then add the macadamias and olive oil. This can be left slightly chunky or made smoother depending on your preference.
- Add the squash pieces, (optional – lemon juice), cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place in a small bowl and serve.
This works well with no lemon juice or apple cider vinegar if you are very sensitive.
Sick of boring low histamine meals?
This recipe is in the Ultra Low Histamine Meal Plan along with many more.
Over 55 recipes and 4 weekly meal plans, including prep guides and shopping lists for each week.
Get your copy today.