I love my weekly organic box. Usually the organic box delivery is a delight, but sometimes it’s overwhelming. There is so much amazing produce in here. What do I use first? What can I make with this week’s selection? How can I make sure I use it all?
I’m here to help answer your questions with my organic box challenge. I will show you what is in my delivery, and give you some recipes and ideas on what to do with it.
This week we are starting to get in some spring seasonal goodies.
I got a mango! I also got the following: One sweetcorn, carrots, beetroot, cauliflower, broccoli, an onion, potatoes, silverbeet (swiss chard), zucchini (courgette), cucumbers, lettuce, apples, bananas, grapefruit and a lemon.
Wow that is a haul!
So, recipe time. The silverbeet needs to be used first as it has a shorter shelf life in the fridge of around 3 days. So dinner tonight will include a side of silverbeet with lemon and walnuts.
Silverbeet with lemon and walnuts
- Prep time: 2 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Total time: 12 mins
- Serves: 2 – 4 as a side
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or grated
- One bunch of silverbeet, washed and stems removed
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from half a lemon – about 1 tablespoon
- Optional – a tablespoon or 2 of chicken stock
- A generous grind of pepper ( Whole peppercorns in a grinder is best)
- A pinch of Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
- Heat a large deep pan on a medium temperature with the olive oil
- Add the garlic and walnuts and cook for 3 minutes until toasted
- Tear the silverbeet leaves and add in with the optional chicken stock
- Cook for 3 minutes until wilted
- Add lemon juice and zest
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix
Health Bite: Silverbeet contains a lot of calcium, but it also contains calcium oxalate, a salt that makes the calcium less available to your body. Pairing it with lemon, a food rich in vitamin C, helps your body absorb more of the calcium.
This amazing mixed box was supplied by The Organic Butler.