I have been whipping up this smoothie recently as a way to pack in more greens. It’s a nice light breakfast or a great afternoon snack. If you are feeling a bit tired and want caffeine usually you need more water and nutrients. A green smoothie is better than a coffee for an afternoon pick me up.
This is a good base to play with. You could add a few berries, some maca powder, chia seeds or another super food to pump it up a bit more.
It’s important to have some fats and protein in your smoothie, otherwise you will be starving and ready to eat off your arm in a couple of hours.
Goodness Green Smoothie
- Prep time: 8 mins
- Cook time: 2 mins
- Total time: 10 mins
- Serves: 1
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Low sugar
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 small apple
- 1/4 avocado
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon protein powder (optional)
- about 1/8 to 1/4 cup rice milk, almond milk or coconut water as required (or water)
- wash and roughly chop the celery, spinach and apple
- place avocado, celery, spinach, apple lemon juice and protein powder with the nut milk in a blender, magic bullet or use a stab mixer in a large cup
- give it a wizz for 1 minute
- if the mixture is a bit too thick, add some more nut milk and wizz again
If you prefer you can make this the night before. It will store well in the fridge ready for the morning, just give it a shake before drinking.