This recipe was inspired by an awesome client of mine, Ruby. It is one of her favourite breakfasts as it’s so easy to prepare the night before. I’ve guesstimated a recipe as I don’t think she really uses one, and most of the time I admit, neither do I. Most of my cooking is just throwing in whatever I feel like and guessing quantities. So I have to concentrate when I want to write them up to share!
This is super easy, throw together the night before and leave in the fridge goodness.
It’s healthy, full of good fats and low sugar. If you are gluten intolerant, check the labels of the oats you buy as oats are often cross contaminated with wheat. Look out for wheat-free or gluten-free oats, and you can make a gluten-free version. Oats may not be good for the very sensitive or coeliac as some you may be reactive to oats. You know your body best so do what works for you.
Bircher style overnight oats
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours
- Total time: Overnight
- Serves: 1
- Wheat-free – with wheat-free oats
- Casein and Dairy-free
- Healthy fats
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rice milk, almond milk or coconut milk – unsweetened.
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom
- One small granny smith green apple – grated
- 1/4 cup berries of your choice
- 1/2 cup mix of almonds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or other nuts or seeds for topping
- Combine oats, chia, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and apple in a bowl or jar and mix.
- Cover and leave overnight in the fridge
- In the morning, top with the berries, seeds or nuts as desired.
Hey Lu, would coconut water be a good alternative to the milks?
LikeLiked by 1 person
I haven’t tried it. It should work fine