What is the Safe and Sound Protocol – SSP?
The Safe and Sound Protocol (SSP) is a five-hour audio program designed to reduce stress and auditory sensitivity while enhancing social engagement and resilience. Based on Dr. Porges’ Polyvagal Theory, by calming the physiological and emotional state, the door is opened for improved communication, natural healing and more successful treatment.
The SSP is a research-based therapy showing significant results in just five to fifteen days in the following areas:
- Social and emotional difficulties
- Auditory sensitivities
- Anxiety and trauma related challenges
- Stressors that impact social engagement
Just like the brain, the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) is plastic and can “learn” to stay more activated than necessary. Being in a state of chronic defensiveness compromises the social engagement system and the related neural networks “learn” to engage less. Symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, digestive issues, light or sound sensitivity, temperature regulation issues, tense and painful muscles etc. are signs of a poor functioning ANS and are commonly found in those with chronic illness.
This video is a wonderful explanation of the Autonomic Nervous System and its links to illness.
The SSP also improves the ability to pick out human voices from background noise. During times of stress, your ears focus on low-frequency sounds created by predators and tune our human voice which is a higher frequency. SSP helps us shift from this stuck, stress state and retune to high-frequency sound. By improving the ability to pick our voices it allows us to easily assess safety in social situations, helping clients to activate a parasympathetic state and improving behavioural regulation.
Shifting the body into the parasympathetic state (also known as rest and digest) allows the body to heal. Cell repair and regeneration occur in this state. Moving the ANS into this calm state assists with natural healing from chronic illness, where the body is often stuck in fight/flight/freeze or a sympathetic state. By helping to access a calm and grounded state, the SSP promotes a neural platform for health, growth, and restoration.
By helping to access a calm and grounded state, the SSP promotes a neural platform for health, growth, and restoration.
SSP self-paced home program
$899 $557 AUD
Use the SSP audio program in the comfort of your own home.
In the initial consultation, we will plan your personal schedule and preferred daily dose of the program. We will also confirm your suitability of the protocol and which package is most suitable for you.
Clinically SSP has helped clients to:
- increase levels of toleration for food, supplements and the environment.
- Improve social interactions and anxiety
- reduce stress and create calm
- get to sleep easily and reduce nighttime waking.
This package includes:
- SSP Core Audio program 5 to 20 days – Apple or Android App available (iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or phone).
- 1 x 45-minute Zoom consultation to plan your personal program.
- 1 x 15-minute Zoom consultation midway through the program.
- 1 x 15-minute Zoom consultation at completion (at 4-6 weeks).
- Self-regulation educational video program to use between sessions.
- Access to the 5-10 day audio preparation program SSP Connect. Optional.
- 1 Month access to SSP Balance to integrate and maximise results.
- 1 Month access to SSP Classical for calm and self regulation.
- Daily check-in emails during the Core program.
Initial deposit is $120 AUD, remainder is due before starting the Core program.
Please note, for the at-home program, you require an Apple or Android device and a pair of over-ear headphones. (not earbuds, on-ear or noise-cancelling — unless noise-cancelling can be turned off)
It is preferable to have a support person present during the program sessions, if this is not possible for you, or you require more support due to your personal situation we can arrange additional Zoom sessions to support your program.